Eastern Serbia – An unforgettable journey through time!
Eastern Serbia carefully preserves its centuries-old heritage, unspoiled nature, mountains, customs, and people.
It’s difficult to say whether Eastern Serbia is richer in cultural and historical monuments or in its natural beauty. The cachet of this region is the Danube River and the Djerdap gorge, one of the most beautiful in Europe. Open to visitors are its many caves, Silver Lake, and of course, the undiscovered treasures of the Canyon River Gate. A visit to eastern Serbia shouldn’t be without stopping to see its many historical and cultural monuments. The natural stone bridges in the village of Vratna, the Bukovo monastery, the monument of Hajduk Veljko Petrović, and the birth house of Stevan Mokranjac are just some of the destinations you should visit on this trip. Although every town in eastern Serbia is known for its specialties, the biggest attraction of all is Gamzigrad, an archaeological, spa resort and UNESCO World Heritage Site located south of the Danube River near the city of Zaječar. It’s also the location of the ancient Roman complex of palaces and temples “Felix Romuliana” built by Emperor Galerius.
We continue our journey to the many rural households near Donji Milanovac, Kladovo, Golubac, Majdanpek and Negotin that engage in rural tourism.
If you ever decide to visit Eastern Serbia, here are some places you should definitely visit:
Mesolithic archaeological site “Lepenski Vir” is located on the banks of the Danube in the Djerdap gorge. It was the center of one of history’s most important prehistoric cultures. The latest radiocarbon and AMS data suggests that the chronology of Lepenski Vir is compressed between 9500/7200-6000 BC. The museum at “Lepenski Vir”, is the only exhibition in the country dedicated to such a site.
Rajacke pimnice – On the far eastern side of the region 20 km south of Negotin near the Serbian -Bulgarian border are the Rajačke pimnice. Since ancient Roman times the area was known for its prolific vineyards. For centuries afterwards, the rural population continued growing these vines, so, the locals built structures in the vicinity. These structures became known as pubs or “pimnice” which was how the locals called wine cellars. Over 300 of these “pimnice” were built, of which, about 270 of these rustic stone buildings remain. Narrow streets connect the “pimnice” which are dedicated to the production and storage of wine. The fountain and central square were dedicated to Saint Tryphon.
Rajko’s cave – This exceptional natural monument is one of the most beautiful caves in Serbia. Landscaped walkways inside the cave are accessible from both land and by river. Decorated with sparkling white cave formations and interesting travertine tubs come in a wide variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. Not far from the cave’s entrance at the confluence of the Duchy with the Paskov River you will find Mali Pek, a gold-bearing stream in which tourists can try their luck at panning for gold.
Majdanpek is a typical mining town that has an impressively long 7,000 year mining tradition. The main attraction is a tour of the copper mine where one can learn about the modern processes of extracting copper and gold. In the center of Majdanpek is the Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. It was built in a “Swiss-style” in 1856, which is deemed typically unusual for an Orthodox Church.
Donji Milanovac is first mentioned in the 15th century as a borough of Porec, an island on the Danube by the same name.
Due to frequent flooding, the town was moved to the right bank of the Danube in 1830 by order of Price Milos Obrenovic. It was named after the prince’s eldest son Milan and in 1859 received the prefix “Donji” to distinguish it from Gornji Milanovac which was founded the same year. Donji Milanovac was built according to the first regulatory plan of Serbia and is based on preliminary sketches by the Duke of Porec, Stefan Stefanovic – Tenke. The Danube River and its many tributaries in the vicinity of Donji Milanovac have the common moniker of “Porec”.